Northeastern automatically enrolls all students who are legally required to have health insurance. If a student waives the insurance but changes their mind, there are options for eligible students to enroll in the plan after they’ve already waived.
Our open enrollment period runs from December 1- January 31. If you are eligible, you can submit a Mid-Year Enrollment Form. Once enrolled, students must remain enrolled until August 31. Students and dependents do not need to provide proof of a qualifying event during this period.
Petition to enroll
If you would like to enroll outside of open enrollment, you will need to provide proof of a qualifying event. Students should complete a Petition to Enroll form and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with proof of their qualifying event. Once enrolled, students must remain enrolled until August 31.
Qualifying events include:
- Losing of coverage (aging off parent’s plan, losing coverage due to job loss/retirement, etc)
- Student is participating in the NUImmerse or an exchange program and would like insurance coverage
- Student is an incoming student who needs coverage to begin in August instead of September 1st to prevent a lapse in coverage
- Student is doing a co-op or study abroad program and would like to take advantage of the travel abroad benefits included in NUSHP
- Student is taking a leave of absence and does not want to lose coverage *only send form after the LOA is approved
To enroll a spouse or child, eligible students must complete the Petition to Enroll Dependents form. Email the form, along with proof of your qualifying event, to email@example.com. Once enrolled, dependents must remain enrolled until August 31. Re-enrollment for dependents is not automatic. You must submit a Petition to Enroll Dependents form every year to maintain coverage. If we do not receive the Petition to Enroll Dependents form, the dependent’s coverage will end August 31.