News and Announcements:
- Do you have two insurance plans? NUSHP is always considered a secondary plan for any students that have another insurance plan. Please see page 67 of the benefits description for more detail. Students who have another plan must show both insurance cards at medical appointments. If you are having difficulty getting claims paid by your primary insurance, please share the benefits description with them.
Welcome to NUSHP
Mandatory Health Coverage
In Massachusetts, it’s the law. Massachusetts law requires that every full-time and part-time student enrolled in a certificate, diploma or degree-granting program of higher education must participate in their school’s Student Health Program or in a health benefit plan with comparable coverage.
While mandatory health insurance is the law, at Northeastern, it is more than that; it is a commitment to the health and well-being of each of our students. We know from experience that good health and holistic wellness are critical elements of a student’s academic success. Supporting that success is a commitment we take very seriously. We also know that with health care costs at all time highs, uninsured students, as well as those covered by plans with inadequate benefits and/or no limits on out-of-pocket costs, place their education at significant risk. The financial burden associated with an accident or illness could interrupt their studies, putting their academic pursuits—and ultimately their professional and career goals—on hold or ending them completely. That’s a risk we find unacceptable.
While every student is automatically enrolled in NUSHP, you may elect to opt out of the plan and remain on your own insurance if that plan provides comparable coverage.
A few things to consider:
- What is the service area of your plan?
- Does your carrier meet Massachusetts mandated requirements?
- Does your plan provide you with the same comprehensive coverage as NUSHP at a reasonable cost?
NUSHP is a High-Quality, Affordable Health Plan
- Coverage anywhere: Comprehensive healthcare coverage at school, at home, while traveling, on Co-op or study abroad
- Savings: Affordable coverage, low co-payments, caps on annual out-of-pocket costs, and access to reduced dental, vision and pharmacy
- Global protection: 24/7 emergency medical care and assistance anywhere in the world.
In times of uncertainty, it is our hope that Northeastern University and NUSHP can offer your family peace of mind and stability in the coming year.
Student Health Plan Manager
104 Ell Hall
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115